In 2018, I won the biggest lottery of my life. That is, my son was drawn by lottery to take one of the two openings of Montessori school in the district on public basis.
Upon first visit of the classroom, I was impressed by the didactic materials and classroom environment. I thought we were lucky to have the best teacher in the world, it's all her ideas. After the first parent-teacher conference, I decided to read about the Montessori Method. It's not an exaggeration that I read the whole book with my head nodding to every single observations, philosophy, and didactic material made by Dr. Montessori. How do I know her method is so amazingly great? Not by I practiced them in the upbringing of my children in her Method without knowing, but by not parenting-educating my children in her Method up until now. To be honest, I regret I didn't study the Montessori education earlier. However, there is no medicine for regret. I decided to read more about it and try to practice more of it in my remaining parenting-educating life.
So far, I have read three books on the topic. I'm listening to the fourth book. And I compiled a list of 12 books plus one DVD for me and everyone else who is interested in it. Even if you have just the slightest interest in the topic, I strongly recommend you read at least one of the books from the list. You won't regret. Even if you don't have child yet or is just pregnant, I still recommend you do the same thing. Because children don't stay little for long, they don't wait for you to know better to bring them up. If you already know the fundamental approach, you can always go back and revisit theses books for specifics when you child is in your hands.
Lastly but most importantly, here is the list of the 12+1 Books and DVD to Awake the Montessori Educator in Every Parent:
1. Dr. Montessori's Own Handbook - Maria Montessori
2. The Montessori Method Scientific Pedagogy as Applied to Child Education in 'The Children's Houses' with Additions and Revisions by the Author Maria Montessori
3. The Absorbent Mind: With Linked Table of Contents by Maria Montessori
4. Children Who Are Not Yet Peaceful: Preventing Exclusion in the Early Elementary Classroom 1st Edition by Donna Bryant Goertz
5. Maria Montessori: A Biography by Rita Kramer
6.Practical Guide to the Montessori Method at Home: With more than 100 activity ideas from 0 to 6 by Julia Palmarola
7. Montessori: A Modern Approach by Paula Polk Lillard
8. Montessori Today: A Comprehensive Approach to Education from Birth to Adulthood by Paula Polk Lillard
9. Montessori at Home Guide: 101 Montessori Inspired Activities for Children Ages 2-6 by A. M. Sterling
10. Montessori at Home Guide: A Short Guide to a Practical Montessori Homeschool for Children Ages 2-6 by A. M. Sterling
11. Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius 3rd Edition by Angeline Stoll Lillard
12. Angeline Lillard Presents Montessori: The Science behind the Genius by Northlea Enterprises Format: DVD
13. The Absorbent Mind (Chinese Text) (Chinese) Paperback – 2007 by Maria Montessori
If you have experience with Montessori education, please share your comments with the world. Happy and successful parenting-educating!